Voluntary Disclosures Program - Overview

A second chance to correct your taxes

The Voluntary Disclosures Program gives you a second chance to change a tax return you previously filed or to file a return that you should have filed. You can apply to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to ask for relief of prosecution and penalties.

Who can apply?

The program is available to any taxpayer. The term taxpayer includes:

  • an individual
  • an employer
  • a corporation
  • a partnership
  • a trust
  • a goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) registrant/claimant
  • a registered exporter of softwood lumber products

You can also have an authorized representative submit an application on your behalf.

How many times can you apply?

Once you use the program, the CRA expects you to keep your taxes up to date. The CRA may consider reviewing your file a second time in situations where the circumstances are beyond your control.

When should you pay what you owe?

The CRA can only grant you relief from prosecution or from paying penalties. You are still required to pay any tax and interest that you owe. You should pay these debts as soon as you send your application. Otherwise, interest will continue to grow until the CRA receives the full payment. Go to Make a payment to the Canada Revenue Agency to learn more about your payment options.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: