Request associated status
Registered charities that gift more than half their income to other registered charities are designated as foundations. On occasion, a charitable organization may want to send substantial amounts to another registered charity. A charitable organization making substantial gifts to another registered charity can avoid being re-designated as a foundation if it is "associated" with the other registered charity.
We will approve associated charity status if we are satisfied that the charitable aim or activity of each of the registered charities is substantially the same. If the charities' aims or activities are different, they can still become associated in order to undertake a joint project. In the latter case, they should explain on the application how the project will operate, what each of the registered charities will do to achieve the common goal and indicate the expected duration (start and end date).
A public or private foundation does not need to request associated status.
To submit a request
- Log in to your My Business Account (MyBA) account.
- Scroll down to the menu for your charity’s RR account.
- Select “Update registered charity or RCAAA information”.
- Then, select “Request associated status” from the dropdown menu.
- Provide a description of your request in the text box.
- Complete and upload Form T3011, Application for Designation as Associated Charities. The signatures from both charities are required for Part ll of this form.
Complete Form T3011, Application for Designation as Associated Charities. The signatures from both charities are required for Part ll of this form.
Mail or fax your completed form to:
Canada Revenue Agency
Ottawa ON K1A 0L5
For more information, see Information Circular IC77-6R, Registered Charities: Designation as Associated Charities.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: