Changing a charity's address or phone number
If you are an authorized representative of a registered charity, you should notify the Charities Directorate if there are changes to the following:
- address (physical address, mailing address, and address of its books and records)
- phone numbers
- fax numbers
This allows us to communicate with the charity, including mailing the annual information return to the correct address.
To notify us of changes, you can:
- Change the charity’s mailing address online through My Business Account.
- Send a letter, detailing the changes with the date, and the printed name and signature of a representative that the Charities Directorate has on file. Mail or fax your letter to:
Canada Revenue Agency
Ottawa ON K1A 0L5
- Make certain changes directly on the Registered Charity Basic Information sheet, if the changes coincide with the filing of the charity’s T3010 Registered Charity Information Return.
- Change the charity’s physical address and address of books and records directly on the T3010 return.
- Change a contact person to also be an authorized representative (send us a completed RC59 Business consent for access by telephone and mail).
A registered charity must ensure that official donation receipts are issued in its name and address as recorded with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). A registered charity that issues an official donation receipt with incorrect information is liable to a penalty equal to 5% of the eligible amount on the receipt. This penalty increases to 10% for a repeat offence within five years. Receipts that show a name or address other than what is on record with the CRA may be rejected when donors claim them on their income tax returns.
Public display of mailing addresses
To ensure transparency and accountability, the List of charities displays the mailing addresses of registered charities.
Charities whose beneficiaries might be put at risk if physical locations were known should use a mailing address that is different from their physical location, for example a post office box number, or the address of the organization's lawyer or accountant.
Updating other program accounts
To update other program accounts a charity has with the CRA, such as payroll or GST/HST, make updates online using My Business Account or call 1-800-959-5525.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: