Changing a charity's address or phone number

If you are an authorized representative of a registered charity, you should notify the Charities Directorate if there are changes to the following:

  • address (physical address, mailing address, and address of its books and records)
  • phone numbers
  • fax numbers

This allows us to communicate with the charity, including mailing the annual information return to the correct address.

To notify us of changes, you can:


A registered charity must ensure that official donation receipts are issued in its name and address as recorded with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). A registered charity that issues an official donation receipt with incorrect information is liable to a penalty equal to 5% of the eligible amount on the receipt. This penalty increases to 10% for a repeat offence within five years. Receipts that show a name or address other than what is on record with the CRA may be rejected when donors claim them on their income tax returns.

Public display of mailing addresses

To ensure transparency and accountability, the List of charities displays the mailing addresses of registered charities.

Charities whose beneficiaries might be put at risk if physical locations were known should use a mailing address that is different from their physical location, for example a post office box number, or the address of the organization's lawyer or accountant.

Updating other program accounts

To update other program accounts a charity has with the CRA, such as payroll or GST/HST, make updates online using My Business Account or call 1-800-959-5525.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: