Change organization's designation
A registered charity can request a re-designation if it disagrees with its designation at the time of registration, or later feels that the designation should be changed.
To ask for a re-designation
You need to provide the following:
- a completed Form T2095, Registered Charities: Application for Re-designation dated and signed
- an updated list of your charity’s directors with information about any non-arm’s length relationships among each other
- indicate whether your charity has received more than 50% of its capital from one person or a group of related persons, and any non-arm’s length relationships between the major donor(s) and your charity’s directors
- Log in to your My Business Account (MyBA) account.
- Scroll down to the menu for your charity’s RR account.
- Select “Update registered charity or RCAAA information”.
- Then, select “Change organization’s designation” from the dropdown menu.
- Provide a description of your request in the text box. Make sure to include the above information.
- Upload your completed Form T2095, Registered Charities: Application for Re-designation.
Mail or fax your request and completed Form T2095, Registered Charities: Application for Re-designation to:
Canada Revenue Agency
Ottawa ON K1A 0L5
Make sure to include the above information.
If a charity's request for a re-designation is approved, it will be notified of its new designation through MyBA or by registered mail. In most cases, the charity's new designation will take effect at the beginning of its next fiscal period.
A registered charity that disagrees with its designation can appeal the CRA's decision by filing an objection within 90 days of the day on which the notice of designation was mailed.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: