T3010 charity return – Before you file

  1. Overview
  2. Before you file
  3. Filing information
  4. After you file

Filing a complete return 

If filing your charity return through My Business Account, the online form will identify for you all the forms and sections that you need to complete as you are progressing. It will also remind you to upload your charity’s financial statements before submitting your return.

If filing your return on paper, make sure to complete all the forms that apply to your charity return and to send them all with your charity’s financial statements.

If you need information on how to complete the T3010, Registered Charity Information Return, see Guide T4033, Completing Form T3010 Registered Charity Information Return.

A complete return must include all of these forms and documents: 

For charities incorporated in Ontario

If you are incorporated in Ontario and subject to the Ontario Corporations Act, you must also include:
Form RC232, Corporations Information Act Annual Return for Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations.

As of May 7, 2021, Form RC232, Corporations Information Act Annual Return for Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations will no longer be available for download on Canada.ca.

As of May 15, 2021, Form RC232, Corporations Information Act Annual Return for Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations will no longer be accepted by the Canada Revenue Agency.

For updated information on filing an Ontario annual information return, go to ontario.ca/businessregistry.


If you are a registered Canadian amateur athletic association (RCAAA), file Form T2052, Registered Canadian Amateur Athletic Association Information Return instead of Form T3010, Registered Charity Information Return.

Don’t include with your return

Don’t include any of the following with your return: 

They should be submitted online in a different request or mailed out separately.

Your charity was inactive

A charity is inactive if, during the entire fiscal year, it did not use any of its resources to carry out its charitable activities or to further its charitable purposes. 

If you go through an inactive period, you must still file a complete return and explain in the “Ongoing programs” section (C2) why you were not active. If you do not file your return, you risk losing your charitable status.  

If you remain inactive, we may review your file to see if you still qualify for registration. 

Your charity is no longer in operation 

If you are no longer in operation, send us a letter asking for voluntary revocation of your registration. The letter must be signed by a representative of your charity that the Charities Directorate has on file. Before you ask for voluntary revocation, go to Consequences of revocation.

You made a special request

Some requests need approval by the Canada Revenue Agency and can affect your return.

Fiscal year end change – If you have received approval to change your fiscal year-end, you will have to file a separate return for the months between your old fiscal year-end and the beginning of your new fiscal year.

Permission to accumulate funds – If you have received approval to accumulate funds, report the amount accumulated during the fiscal year (including any income earned) on line 5500, and any accumulated funds spent on line 5510.

Disbursement quota reduction – If you have received approval for a disbursement quota reduction you must file Form T1240, Registered Charity Adjustment Request, to correct the return for the fiscal year in which the shortfall occurred.

Related links

Guides and help 

Related services and information 

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: