Birth Registration and Canada Child Benefits

From: Canada Revenue Agency

RC4476-MB(E) Rev. 18

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and the Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency are offering the Automated Benefits Application (ABA) service; a quick, easy and secure way to apply for Canada child benefits for your newborn. This includes the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) and any related provincial/territorial programs the CRA administers.

After your child’s birth has been registered and with your consent, the Vital Statistics Agency will send the registration information securely to the CRA. The CRA will then determine if you are eligible for benefits.

How to register

If you are the mother, a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, and primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of your child, all you need to do is:

  • Complete and sign your birth registration form;
  • Consent to the Vital Statistics Agency sharing your information with the CRA;
  • Provide your social insurance number (SIN).


If you do not provide your SIN, it may result in a delay in processing your application or issuing payments. The CRA may contact you if more information is needed.

The following information will be sent to the CRA, after your child’s birth has been registered with the Province of Manitoba:

  • your name, date of birth, place of birth, SIN, and mailing address;
  • your child’s name, date and place of birth, sex of the child; and
  • your child’s birth registration number.


Your marital status information is not sent to the CRA. You must inform the CRA if your marital status has changed by using the online service Change my marital status at My Account, or by completing Form RC65, Marital Status Change, or by calling 1-800-387-1193.


If you do not give your consent, the information you provided on the birth registration form will not be sent to the CRA. You will then have to apply for Canada child benefits by using the online service Apply for child benefits at My Account, or by completing Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application.

If you give your consent on the birth registration form, the information you provided will be sent to the CRA automatically. Do not re-apply for your child’s benefits using the CRA online service, or Form RC66. Re-applying may result in a delay in processing your first application or issuing payments.


Payments and direct deposit

Once the CRA receives your application, you may expect your first notice/payment within 8 weeks.

The CRA uses information from your income tax return to calculate your benefit payments. To continue receiving your payments, you and your spouse, or common-law partner, must each file an income tax return every year, even if you have not received income in the year.

To receive your payments faster, sign up for direct deposit. If you already receive your benefit payments for your other children by direct deposit, you do not have to apply again. You will receive the benefit payments for your newborn in the same bank account.

You must inform the CRA of your new address each time you move, even if you receive your payments by direct deposit. To update your personal information go to the CRA's My Account or call 1-800-387-1193.

To return to the Automated Benefits Application. You can also go to Canada Child Benefit (CCB) for information on the CCB and for links to related services and information.


Personal Information Collection Statement

Personal information is collected under the Income Tax Act and will be used to register your child for Canada child benefits, including related federal, provincial and territorial programs administered by the CRA. It may also be used for any purpose related to the administration or enforcement of the Act such as audit, compliance and the payment of debts owed to the Crown. It may be shared or verified with other federal, provincial/territorial government institutions to the extent authorized by law. Under the Privacy Act, individuals have the right to access their personal information and request correction if there are errors or omissions. Refer to Info Source Personal Information Banks CRA PPU 063 and CRA PPU 140 on the CRA website.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: