ARCHIVED - Information for Residents of Ontario


Information for Residents of Ontario

All the information you need to calculate your Ontario tax and credits is included on the following pages. You will find two copies of Form ON428, Ontario Tax , and Form ON479, Ontario Credits , in this book. Complete the forms that apply to you, and attach a copy to your return.

What's new for 2002?

The provincial non-refundable tax credits, the income levels, the surtax, and the Ontario tax reduction have been indexed based on the Ontario Consumers Price Index. This, along with the reduction of the tax rates applied to the first two income levels, reduces the amount of provincial tax you pay.

The Equity in Education Tax Credit is a new refundable credit for parents or legal guardians of children attending an eligible independent school in 2002. Use Form T1238, Equity in Education Tax Credit (EETC) for 2002 , to calculate a credit of 10% of eligible tuition fees up to a maximum of either $350 or $700, depending on the age of each eligible child.

The Ontario School Bus Safety tax credit is a new refundable credit available to self-employed school bus operators for eligible buses acquired after June 17, 2002.

Form ON428, Ontario Tax , and Form ON479, Ontario Credits reflect these changes.

Ontario Child Care Supplement for Working Families

The Ontario Child Care Supplement for Working Families (OCCS) is a non-taxable monthly payment to qualifying Ontario families to help with the cost of raising children. For each child under age seven, the monthly supplement is up to $91.67 in a two-parent family and up to $109.17 in a single-parent family.

This is not an automatic payment. Each year, the Ontario Ministry of Finance sends out preprinted applications to qualifying families. Families must complete and return the application to the Ontario Ministry of Finance.

File your tax return - You (and your spouse or common-law partner) should file your 2002 tax return(s) as soon as possible. The amount of your OCCS payment, starting in July 2003, will be based on the information from the return(s) and on your OCCS application.

Ontario Opportunities Fund

The Ontario Opportunities Fund has been set up to give Ontarians a chance to reduce the province's debt. If you want to make a monetary contribution to the Ontario Opportunities Fund from your 2002 tax refund, complete the "Ontario Opportunities Fund" area on page 4 of your return.

You will be issued a receipt that can be used with your 2003 return. 
For more information about gifts to government, see line 349 in the General Income Tax and Benefit.

Your donation will not be processed if it is less than $2.00, or if the refund you have calculated is reduced by $2.00 or more when your return is assessed.

If you prefer to make a separate monetary contribution to this fund, please make your cheque or money order payable to the 
"Minister of Finance - Ontario Opportunities Fund" and mail it to the:

Ontario Financing Authority
14th Floor, 1 Dundas Street West
Toronto ON 
M7A 1Y7.

Ontario Research Employee Stock Option Credit

If you have employee stock option benefits and/or taxable capital gains arising from the sale of shares relating to employee stock options, and you are an eligible research employee resident in Ontario, you may be eligible for a tax credit for Ontario income tax purposes.

If you think you may be eligible, contact the Ontario Ministry of Finance to find out how to apply.

If you have questions…

If you have questions about Ontario tax and credits, or one of the above programs, contact the Ontario Ministry of Finance Information Centre at the following address and toll-free numbers:

Income Tax Related Programs Branch
Ontario Ministry of Finance

P.O. Box 624, 33 King Street West
Oshawa ON L1H 8H8

English: 1-800-263-7965
French: 1-800-668-5821
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-800-263-7776
Tax Fax Service: 1-877-4-TAX-FAX (1-877-482-9329)
Web site:

If you have other questions, contact the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) at 1-800-959-8281. To request forms call 
1-800-959-2221. The address and telephone numbers of your tax services office are listed in the government section of your telephone book. Information is also available at on the CCRA's Web site.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: