ARCHIVED - Identification, income, and deductions

On this pageā€¦


Follow the instructions on the return to complete this area. Incomplete or incorrect information may delay the processing of your return and any refund, credit, or benefit, such as any GST/HST credit and Canada Child Tax Benefit payments you may be entitled to receive.

Personal label

If you have a personal label, attach it to your return. If your name, address, or social insurance number (SIN), or your spouse or common-law partner's SIN is incorrect, put a line through the wrong information, and print your changes clearly on the label.

We may modify part of your address to meet Canada Post's requirements. Therefore, the address on your package, your Notice of Assessment, or other correspondence we send you may be different from the one you indicate on your return.

Information about your residence

On the first line, enter the province or territory where you lived or of which you were considered to be a factual resident on December 31, 2004. We need to know this to calculate your taxes and credits correctly. For details, see "Which tax and benefit package should you use?".

On the second line, enter the province or territory where you live now, if it is different from your mailing address. We need to know this to calculate certain provincial or territorial credits and benefits you may be entitled to receive.

On the third line, if you were self-employed in 2004, enter the province or territory where you had a permanent business establishment.

On the last line, if you became or ceased to be a resident of Canada during 2004, indicate your date of entry or departure, whichever applies.

Marital status

Check the box that applied to your status on December 31, 2004. Check "Married" if you had a spouse (see below), or "Living common law" if you had a common-law partner (see later in this section). You still have a spouse or common-law partner if you were living apart for reasons other than a breakdown in your relationship. Check one of the other boxes only if neither of the first two applied.


This applies only to a person to whom you are legally married.

Common-law partner

This applies to a person of the opposite or same sex who is not your spouse (see above), with whom you live and have a relationship and to whom at least one of the following situations applies. He or she:

a) is the natural or adoptive parent (legal or in fact) of your child;

b) has been living and having a relationship with you for at least 12 continuous months, or

c) lived with you previously for at least 12 continuous months as your spouse or common-law partner.

Under proposed changes, condition c) will no longer exist. The effect of this proposed change is that a person (other than situation a) above) will be your common-law partner only after your current relationship with that person has lasted at least 12 continuous months. This proposed change will apply to 2001 and later years.

Reference to "12 continuous months" in this definition includes any period that you were separated for less than 90 days because of a breakdown in the relationship.

Your spouse or common-law partner's net income

This is the amount on line 236 of your spouse or common-law partner's return, or the amount that it would be if he or she filed a return. Enter this amount even if it is zero. We use this information to calculate the GST/HST credit and certain other credits.

Even though you show this amount on your return, your spouse or common-law partner still may have to file a return for 2004. See "Do you have to file a return?" for more information.

   Previous page | Table of contents | Next page   

Page details

Date modified: