ARCHIVED - Information for Residents of Nunavut


Table of contents

All the information you need to calculate your Nunavut tax and credits is included on the following pages. You will find two copies of Form NU428, Nunavut Tax , and Form NU479, Nunavut Credits , in this book. Complete the forms that apply to you, and attach a copy to your return.

What's new for 2004?

The income levels and most of the non-refundable tax credits used to calculate your territorial income tax have changed.

The calculation for the medical expenses non-refundable tax credit has changed.

Form NU428, Nunavut Tax , reflects these changes.

Nunavut Child Benefit

The Nunavut Child Benefit (NUCB) is a non-taxable monthly payment made to qualifying families with children under age 18. The Territorial Workers' Supplement, part of the NUCB program, is an additional benefit paid to qualifying families with working income who have children under age 18. Benefits are combined with the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) into a single monthly payment.

Under the NUCB, you may be entitled to get a basic benefit of $27.50 per month for each child. Families who have earned income of more than $3,750 may also get the Territorial Workers' Supplement of up to $22.91 per month for one child, and up to $29.16 per month for two or more children. Families with net income above $20,921 may get part of the benefit.

There is no need to apply separately to get payments under these programs. We will use the information from your CCTB application to determine your eligibility for the program.

File your tax return - You (and your spouse or common-law partner) should file your 2004 tax return(s) as soon as possible. The information you give on your return(s) will determine how much you will get starting in July 2005.

This program is fully funded by Nunavut. For more information, call 1-800-387-1193.

If you have questions…

If you have questions about the Nunavut cost of living, political contribution, or risk capital investment tax credits (shown on Form NU479), contact:

Finance Department
Government of Nunavut
P.O. Box 1000, Station 330
Iqaluit NU X0A 0H0

Call 1-867-975-5800
Fax 1-867-975-6825

If you have questions about federal and Nunavut personal income tax, and all tax credits other than the three Nunavut tax credits listed above, visit the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Web site at or call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

To get forms, visit the CRA Web site at or call 1-800-959-2221.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: