Volunteer at a local tax clinic

Returning volunteers

Click on the register now button below if you are a returning volunteer and want to complete your registration for the upcoming year.

Register now

Auto-fill my return is available to all volunteers this filing season. To use Auto-fill my return, you need to provide your RepID when you fill out the registration form.

New volunteers

Do you like helping people, need experience to add to your resume, or simply enjoy doing tax returns? Volunteer at a free tax clinic to complete tax returns for eligible people in your community.

To volunteer at a free tax clinic, you must be affiliated with a community organization that participates in the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.  

What if I am not affiliated with a community organization?

If you are not affiliated with a community organization, a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) coordinator will contact you after you complete your registration. The CRA coordinator will give you a list of organizations in your area that are looking for volunteers. If you register outside of tax season when the need for volunteers is lower, your coordinator will do their best to find you a participating organization to work with.   

What do volunteers do?

Volunteers complete tax returns for eligible people who have a modest income and a simple tax situation, help direct taxpayers, or assist other volunteers.

You can volunteer as often as you want. The busiest time is tax season, from the end of February to early May, but many people need help throughout the year.

Some experience doing tax returns is helpful, but you will be given web-based or in-person training about volunteer responsibilities, taxes, and how to use the tax software.

How can I register?

Although the online registration is available year round, you have to register or renew your registration between the third week of October and the beginning of February to volunteer for the next tax season. If you register later than this, you may not be able to get training or get your EFILE approval in time.

Before you register, go to Auto-fill my return to see if you want to use this service.

Each year, you must: 

Step 1: Fill out the online registration form

State which community organization you plan to volunteer with, or if you are not affiliated with a community organization.

Step 2: Register for EFILE

To file tax returns electronically (recommended), you must apply for an EFILE account or renew your existing account. Do this early, since it can take up to 6 weeks to process your application. You will be notified by email or letter when you are approved.

Accountants and professional tax preparers
You must get a separate EFILE number to use for your volunteer work. You cannot use this EFILE number for your business.

Step 3: Meet security requirements 

To meet security requirements, you must be approved to use EFILE (recommended) or give your community organization a valid police records check (less than 3 years old).  

Can I use Auto-fill my return?

Auto-fill my return for the CVITP is an optional and secure Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) service that allows volunteers to automatically fill in parts of a taxpayer's income tax and benefit return with information the CRA has available at the time of filing the return.

If you choose to use Auto-fill my return, you must:

  • apply for an EFILE account or renew your existing account
  • register as a CVITP volunteer
  • provide your RepID when you fill out the CVITP registration form
  • present your organization with a valid police records check (less than three years old)

How can I get more information?

To get more information, call 1-800-959-8281.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: