What if the deceased was receiving Canada child benefit (CCB) payments?

Contact the CRA at 1-800-387-1193 and let them know the date of death. If the deceased person was receiving CCB payments for a child and the surviving spouse or common-law partner is the child's parent, the CRA will usually transfer the CCB payments to that person.

If anyone else, other than the parent, is now primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child, that person will have to apply for benefit payments for the child through one of the following options:


If the deceased was receiving payments under provincial or territorial child benefit and credit programs administered by the CRA, there is no need to apply separately to qualify. The CRA will use the information from the application to determine the new caregiver's eligibility for these programs.

What if the deceased's spouse or common-law partner receives the CCB?

If you are the surviving spouse or common-law partner and you receive CCB payments for a child, contact the CRA at 1-800-387-1193 to provide them with the date of death, and they will automatically recalculate the payments excluding the deceased person's net income.

What if the deceased is an eligible child?

Your entitlement to CCB payments stops the month after the child's date of death. You should notify the CRA of the date of death so that they can update their records.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: