Line 236 - Net income

Net income is used to calculate federal and provincial or territorial non-refundable tax credits. The CRA also uses your net income, and if you are married or living common-law, your spouse or common-law partner's net income, to calculate amounts such as the Canada child benefit, the GST/HST credit, the social benefits repayment, and certain credits.

If it applies, enter your spouse's or common-law partner's net income in the "Information about your spouse or common-law partner" area on page 1 of your return. Report this amount even if it is zero.

If the amount you calculate for line 236 is negative, you may have a non-capital loss. For more information, see line 252.

Completing your tax return

Claim on line 236 the result of the amount from line 150 minus the total of the allowable deductions claimed on lines 207 through 235.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: