Line 30400 – Amount for an eligible dependant: Can you claim an amount for an eligible dependant?

Were you single, divorced, separated or widowed and supporting a dependant who lived with you in a home that you maintained, at any time in the tax year?


If you had a spouse or common-law partner, but you were not living with, supporting, or being supported by that person, the CRA considers that you were separated for the purpose of this amount.

If your dependant usually lives with you when not in school, the CRA considers that dependant to live with you for the purpose of this amount.

For the purposes of this claim, your child is not required to live in Canada but they must still have lived with you. For example, you were a deemed resident living in another country with your child.

  • Yes

    Was the dependant you supported:

    • your parent or grandparent (by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption)?
    • your child, grandchild, brother, or sister (by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption) and under 18 years of age or had an impairment in physical or mental functions?
    • Yes
    • No
  • No

Page details

Date modified: