You can transfer certain types of payments to a registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) or from one registered plan to another, such as a registered pension plan (RPP), registered retirement income fund (RRIF), specified pension plan (SPP), a deferred profit sharing plan (DPSP), a pooled registered pension plan (PRPP), or a first home savings account (FHSA).

Tax Tip

You have to transfer certain payments directly. To make sure that these funds are transferred on a tax-deferred basis, you must ask the payer to transfer the funds directly.


Generally, amounts you transfer directly to your RRSP do not affect your RRSP deduction limit. However, you may need to include an amount in income and claim an offsetting deduction.

You can also use certain payments from an RPP, an RRSP, a RRIF, an SPP or a PRPP to buy yourself an eligible annuity.

If you transfer the amount to your RRSP, you must be 71 or younger at the end of the year in which you transfer the funds. For more information, go to RRSP options when you turn 71.

Page details

Date modified: