Carrying on a business in Canada

Income tax return filing requirements

All corporations that carry on business in Canada or dispose of taxable Canadian property have to file a T2 corporation income tax return each tax year, even if no tax is payable. This includes:

  • non-profit organizations
  • tax exempt corporations
  • inactive corporations

The only exceptions to this rule are tax-exempt Crown corporations, Hutterite colonies, and corporations that were registered charities throughout the year.

A non-resident corporation is subject to Canadian income tax and has to file a T2 return if, at any time in the year, the corporation carried on business in Canada, had a taxable capital gain, or disposed of taxable Canadian property.

This applies even if the corporation claims that any profits or gains it realizes are exempt from tax in Canada due to the provisions of a tax treaty.

In certain situations, a non-resident corporation does not have to file a T2 return, even if it had a taxable capital gain or disposed of taxable Canadian property.

For more information about these situations, along with situations in which a non-resident corporation has to file a T2 return, see Who has to file a corporation income tax (T2) return.

Filing-due date

The T2 corporation income tax return (other than elective returns) must be filed no later than six months after the end of each tax year.

A corporation's tax year is its fiscal period.

If your corporation has to file a T2 return, see guide T4012, T2 Corporation – Income Tax Guide and T2 Corporation Income Tax Return.

How to reach us

If you have a question about a non-resident corporation account, go to International tax and non-resident enquiries. 

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: