Non-residents rendering services in Canada

Who is taxable?

If you are a non-resident who renders services in Canada, you may have to pay tax on the income you earn in Canada. You should know your rights, entitlements, and obligations concerning this income.

Withholding and reporting requirements

Any person, whether a resident of Canada or not, who pays a non-resident for services rendered in Canada has to withhold a portion of the gross payments and remit this amount to the Receiver General for Canada. He or she also has to provide an information slip for this amount to the person who renders the service and to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

If you are a non-resident who receives income for services rendered in Canada, you may have to report this income by filing a Canadian income tax return with the CRA to determine your final Canadian tax liability.

Exceptions to withholding

If you believe that your final Canadian tax liability will be less than the amount withheld, you can ask the CRA to reduce or waive the withholding accordingly. A request for a reduction or waiver from withholding should normally be filed 30 days before the services are to begin in Canada, or 30 days before the first payment is due for these services.

If you are qualifying non-resident employee working in Canada for a qualifying non-resident employer, your employer will not be required to withhold and remit any amount of tax to the CRA from your pay.

For more information on rendering services in Canada, see Rendering services in Canada.

Registering with the CRA

Non-residents who carry on business in Canada may need a Business Number to identify their business with the CRA. For more information, see Business Number registration.

Other services

If you are providing services within the film or television industry, see the section called Film and Media Tax Credits.

Page details

Date modified: