Canada Student Loans - Medical and parental leave: Apply
Before you apply, let your school know that you are taking leave from your studies.
To apply for leave or to extend your leave:
- apply online with the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC)
- complete the Application form (PDF, 131 KB), or
- contact the NSLSC to receive a paper application to apply by mail
If applying for medical leave, or changing from parental to medical leave, complete section A of the Medical form (PDF, 648 KB). Have a medical professional complete and sign section B of the form.
Note: For full-time students taking leave, the benefit will apply to both your full-time and part-time student loans. For part-time students, the benefit will apply to your part-time student loans.
Extending your leave
You can extend your leave twice, for 6 months at a time, up to a maximum of 18 months. For more information, please consult: How long you can be on leave.
To extend your leave, apply within the following time periods:
- 30 days before the end of your leave, and
- 30 days after the end of your leave
- Date modified: