Canada Student Loan forgiveness for family doctors and nurses - Eligibility


You can apply for loan forgiveness while you are in study. You can also apply if you are in repayment or in your 6 month non-repayment period.

To be eligible for Canada Student Loan forgiveness you must:

  • have started your employment as a medical professional (full-time, part-time or casual) in an eligible community, on or after July 1, 2011
  • have been employed for a full year and provided in-person services for a minimum of 400 hours in an eligible community (does not apply to residents in family medicine)
  • have a Canada Student Loan that is in good standing

Note: If you are repaying your loan, you must continue to make your regular monthly payments.

Eligible medical professionals

  • family doctor
  • family medicine resident in training with an accredited medical school in Canada
  • registered nurse
  • registered psychiatric nurse
  • registered practical nurse
  • licensed practical nurse, or
  • nurse practitioner

Eligible under-served rural or remote communities

An under-served rural or remote community is one located outside of:

  • metropolitan areas
  • areas with an urban core population of 50 000 or more, and
  • provincial capitals

Verify if a community is designated by using our postal code lookup tool.

Note: You can work in multiple rural or remote communities during the year. You must however, complete at least 400 hours total of in-person service over the 12-month period. As long as you continue to work in an eligible rural or remote community, you may work for multiple employers.

Page details

Date modified: