Guaranteed Income Supplement – Apply
You must apply in writing for the GIS. Complete and mail the Application for the Guaranteed Income Supplement (ISP-3025) for the payment year that applies to you and include certified true copies of the required documentation. You will find this form on the Old Age Security forms page.
To find out where to mail your application form, see Returning the form.
Sources of income and deductions
Use the information slips issued to you for income tax purposes, as well as your federal Income Tax and Benefit Return, to report the following income and deductions:
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Quebec Pension Plan (QPP) benefits;
- other pension income, such as private pensions, superannuation and foreign pension income;
- Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs) that you cashed during the year;
- Employment Insurance benefit;
- interest and other investment income;
- capital gains and taxable Canadian dividends;
- net income from any rental properties;
- net employment income minus the following deductions:
- your CPP or QPP contributions, your Employment Insurance premiums, and the $3,500 earnings exemption;
- net self-employment income minus the following deductions:
- your CPP or QPP contributions on self-employment, and your Employment Insurance premiums;
- other income from sources such as workers' compensation payments and alimony; and
- other deductions, such as union dues, RRSP deduction, moving expenses and other employment expenses.
You will find instructions on how to report your income and deductions on the Instruction Sheet for the Guaranteed Income Supplement or Statement of Income for the Allowance or Allowance for the Survivor that is available on the Guaranteed Income Supplement or Statement of Income for the Allowance or Allowance for the Survivor form page you selected on the Old Age Security forms page.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: