One-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit

One-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit

Status: Not yet available

The one-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit aims to help low-income renters with the cost of renting.

You may be eligible for a tax-free one-time payment of $500 if your income and the amount that you pay on rent qualify. The CRA will administer the one-time payment.

Applications open on December 12, 2022.

On this page

Who will be able to apply

You may be eligible to apply if all of the following are true:

  • you were born on or before December 1, 2007 (you are at least 15 years old on December 1, 2022)
  • your principal residence is in Canada on December 1, 2022
  • you were a resident of Canada in 2022 for tax purposes
  • you and your spouse or common-law partner have filed your 2021 income tax return or statement of income
  • in 2021, you had an adjusted net income of $35,000 or less for families, or $20,000 or less for individuals
  • in 2022, you paid at least 30% of your 2021 adjusted net income on rent for your own principal residence in Canada

Get ready to apply

Complete any steps you are missing so you're ready to apply when applications open.

File your income taxes

Filing your income tax return is required to apply for this benefit.

Have you filed your 2021 income taxes?

  • Yes

    If you have a spouse or common-law partner, have they also filed their 2021 taxes?

    • Yes, they have filed
    • No, they have not filed yet
    • I do not have a spouse or common-law partner
  • No

    Did you or your spouse or common-law partner become residents of Canada for tax purposes in 2021 or 2022?

    • Yes

      Did you submit a statement of income for the GST/HST Credit or Canada Child Benefit (CCB) for 2021?

      • Yes
      • No
    • No

Gather your rent information

Gather all of the following:

  • How much rent you paid in the 2022 calendar year for your principal residence
  • Address(es) of your principal residences in 2022
  • Name and contact information of the persons to whom the rent was paid

Confirm you have access to your CRA My Account

Canada Revenue Agency's online application (CRA My Account) will be the fastest way to apply for this benefit.

Do you have a CRA My Account? (CRA's online application)

  • Yes

    Are you able to successfully sign in?

    • Yes
    • No

      What problem are you having?

      • I am locked out
      • I can't remember my CRA user ID or password
      • I'm having trouble accessing my Sign-in partner
      • I'm having trouble accessing my Provincial partner sign-in
  • No

    Do you have a My Service Canada Account?

    • Yes
    • No

Set up direct deposit

Direct deposit is the fastest way to get payment for this benefit.

Is your direct deposit information up to date with the CRA?

  • Yes
  • No - I want to set it up
  • No - I prefer to receive my payment by cheque

When to apply

Applications will open on December 12, 2022.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: