If your application is selected for review
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) routinely checks to confirm that recipients were entitled to the payment they received. If your application is selected for review, the CRA may ask you to provide additional information.
On this page
- How the CRA may contact you
- Documents you may need to provide
- How to submit your documents
- Our review decision
How the CRA may contact you
If your application has been selected for review, the CRA will contact you by mail. Make sure your contact information is correct.
Documents you may need to provide
You must provide all of the requested documents and information within 30 days from the date of the letter you receive. If you do not reply or do not provide the requested information by the due date, you may have to repay the one-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit payment.
We may ask you to provide one of the following documents for each property you rented:
Rent receipts for each month in which you paid rent
A letter from your landlord
All documents you provide must include:
- amount of rent paid
- address of the rental property
- dates rent was paid
- name of the person who paid the rent
- name of the person or business who received the rent payments
- name and signature of the landlord
If you are unable to send any of the above documents, we may ask you to provide a lease agreement along with bank statements, credit card statements, cancelled cheques (front and back), or e-transfer receipts to support the amount you entered as rent paid in 2022. Lease agreements are not acceptable on their own.
The CRA may:
- verify the authenticity of any documents you provide
- call you or your landlord to confirm the information you give us
How to submit your documents
Put the following on the top of all documents that you send to us:
- your social insurance number (SIN)
- the reference number found on the letter you received from the CRA
Submit your documents through CRA My Account
- Sign in to CRA My Account
- Select "Submit documents" (in top right corner)
- Enter the reference number (found on the letter the CRA has sent to you)
- Select "Submit supporting documents for the one-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit"
- Enter a short description about your submission and attach your files
- By fax
Send your documents by fax
- Include a cover sheet with your full name, SIN, reference number (found on the letter the CRA has sent to you), a daytime phone number, and the number of pages you're faxing
- Label the cover sheet "Supporting documents for the one-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit"
- Fax your documents to 1-833-325-0555
- By mail
Send your documents by mail
One-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit
Sudbury Tax Centre
Post Office Box 20000, Station A
Sudbury ON P3A 5C1
Our review decision
We will send you a letter to let you know our decision once we have completed our review.
If you disagree with the decision we made during the review, you may ask for a second review within 90 days of the date of the decision.
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: