Applying as an importer of vaping products
On this page
- Who must apply to be a vaping prescribed person
- Eligibility conditions to be a vaping prescribed person
- How to apply to be a vaping prescribed person
- After you apply to be a vaping prescribed person
- Additional information
Who must apply to be a vaping prescribed person
If you import packaged vaping products into the Canadian duty-paid market, and do not manufacture product domestically, you must apply to be a vaping prescribed person in order to obtain vaping excise stamps for your products.
Packaged vaping products must be stamped prior to importation into Canada. If an imported vaping product intended for the duty-paid market is not stamped prior to importation, it must be entered into a sufferance warehouse for the purpose of being stamped.
If you are an importer but also manufacture vaping product in Canada, you must get a vaping product licence. You do not also need to apply to be a vaping prescribed person.
What do you require for your vaping business?
You require to be registered as a vaping prescribed person for the purposes of obtaining vaping excise stamps.
No licence or registration is required.
You do not require any further registration.
You do not require any further registration.
Note: In order to import non-duty-paid, unfinished/unpackaged vaping products into Canada for further manufacturing, you must have a valid vaping product licence. You will provide this information to the Canada Border Services Agency upon importation.
You must also register for the vaping stamping regime before importing any packaged vaping products into Canada. For more information: Registering for the vaping stamping regime.
Eligibility conditions to be a vaping prescribed person
To apply to be a vaping prescribed person in order to get vaping excise stamps, you must meet all of the following conditions:
- You are not the subject of a receivership of your debts
- You have not failed to comply with any Act of Parliament (other than the Excise Act, 2001) or of a provincial or territorial legislature that deals with the taxation or control of alcohol, tobacco products, or vaping products, or any regulations under it in the past 5 years
- You have not acted to defraud her Majesty in the past 5 years
- Each individual involved must be at least 18 years of age
- Have sufficient financial resources to conduct your business in a responsible manner
You must also provide the following:
- A list of the locations where vaping excise stamps are proposed to be shipped
- The address where books and records will be maintained to account for the vaping excise stamps issued, used, and/or destroyed
- A business plan (including a business industry overview, operating plan, financial plan or source of funds, and a sales and marketing plan)
- Acceptable financial security
Financial security requirement
The minimum amount of financial security required for a vaping prescribed person is $5,000. The maximum financial security would be $5 million.
Financial security is calculated as:
- $1 multiplied by the number of stamps that are in your possession or that are to be issued to you
How to apply to be a vaping prescribed person
To apply to be a vaping prescribed person , use Form L603, Vaping Prescribed Person Application.
You may also need to attach the following to support your application:
- Form L600-B, Schedule B – Information Relating to Individuals, Partners, Directors, Officers, or Shareholders
- Form L601, Registration for Vaping Stamping Regime
- Form L604, Surety Bond for Vaping – Prescribed Person
After you apply to be a vaping prescribed person
We will review your application to determine if you are eligible to be a vaping prescribed person based on the information provided on your Form L603. We may contact you if we need more information.
Upon meeting the eligibility criteria, we will send you a letter by mail to confirm you meet the conditions to be a vaping prescribed person and give you your new excise duty program account number.
Your responsibilities as a vaping prescribed person
As a vaping prescribed person, you must:
- Register for the vaping stamping regime. See Registering for the vaping stamping regime
- File a monthly Vaping Information Return – Prescribed Person, which includes reporting your stamp inventory
- Keep all your supporting documents for at least 6 years to support all aspects of your stamp usage
- Be responsible for all of the vaping excise stamps issued to you and may be liable to a penalty for any stamps that are unaccounted for
- Remit duties on imported vaping products to the Canada Border Services Agency at the time of importation
- Tell us immediately if any information you provided in your licence application has changed or is no longer accurate.
For the contact information on the regional excise offices, go to Contact Information – Excise Duty, Excise Taxes, Fuel Charge and Air Travellers Security Charge.
Effect and duration
A vaping prescribed person registration is effective from the date indicated in the letter of approval and it remains effective until the person either requests to cancel it or no longer qualifies to be a vaping prescribed person.
If you have further questions, contact your regional excise duty office. For the contact information of the regional excise duty offices: Contact Information – Excise Duty, Excise Taxes, Fuel Charge, and Air Travellers Security Charge.
You may email questions to email@example.com or call 1-866-330-3304.
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: