Public Service Dental Care Plan summary
This is a summary of the Public Service Dental Care Plan (PSDCP) provided to eligible active employees of the public service (including the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and the Canadian Forces) and participating employers, and members of certain designated groups. It does not contain all details or describe all limits, restrictions or exclusions. For additional information, please refer to the PSDCP Rules, PSDCP Member Booklet or contact your departmental Compensation services or the Public Service Pay Centre.
The PSDCP is designed to cover specific dental services and supplies that are not covered under your provincial or territorial health care or dental care plan.
- Automatic coverage for:
- Full-time and part-time employees who are appointed for more than 6 months (part-time employees must work more than 1/3 of the normal work week) or who have completed 6 months of continuous employment
- Eligible spouse or common-law partner and eligible dependant children of employee members
- Members of the RCMP, Canadian Forces & Reservists contact your departmental Compensation services for eligibility requirements.
- No application required
- Coverage effective after 3 months of continuous employment from the date you become eligible
- $25 per person, up to $50 per family per calendar year
Reimbursement Percentage (after deductible)
- Basic services: 90%
- Major services and orthodontics: 50%
- Previous year’s dental fee guide for the province or territory where the services are rendered
- Provisions for services rendered in Alberta
- Provisions for services rendered outside of Canada
- Basic and Major dental expenses:
- $2,000 per calendar year per covered person between and ($1,000 during first year if coverage takes effect on or after )
- $2,250 per calendar year per covered person between and ($1,125 during first year if coverage takes effect on or after )
- $2,500 per calendar year per covered person starting on ($1,250 during first year if coverage takes effect on or after )
- Orthodontics: Lifetime maximum $2,500 per covered person
Basic Services (90%)
- Examination and diagnosis:
- Recall oral examination limited to once every 9 months
- Complete examination limited to once every 36 months
- Routine preventive services (dental cleaning, polishing and fluoride application limited to once every 9 months; oral hygiene instruction limited to once per calendar year)
- Minor restorative
- Endodontics (root canal)
- Periodontics (treatment of gum disease)
- Minor prosthodontic services (repairs, adjustments, rebasing and relining of removable dentures once every 36 months)
- Oral surgery
- Adjunctive services (anaesthesia in connection with oral surgery and emergency services)
Major Services (50%)
- Major restorative services (crowns once every 60 months, inlays, implants)
- Complete or partial dentures, fixed bridges (dentures once every 60 months)
- Orthodontics Services
- If you and your dependant are covered under more than one group dental plan, you may coordinate benefits up to 100% of the actual eligible expenses. Coordination of benefits between Public Service Dental Care Plan (PSDCP) members is allowed.
Cost Sharing / Contributions
- 100% employer-paid
- When a member and/or dependant ceases to be eligible.
- When you retire you may be eligible for optional pensioner dental coverage under the Pensioners’ Dental Services Plan.
- Date modified: