Green procurement: Buyers for Climate Action
The Government of Canada is determined to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, which includes taking action on its own operations and assets through the Greening Government Strategy.
In support of the strategy, collaboration with other governments presents an opportunity to increase and improve green procurement efforts and provides a meaningful opportunity to make greenhouse gas reductions directly through supply chains.
About the coalition
Buyers for Climate Action (BCA) is a coalition of large green buyers who purchase a significant volume of goods and services in procurement categories with high environmental impact. Categories may include:
- real property
- information and communications technology (ICT)
- vehicle and marine fleet
In 2021, the BCA was established to help drive the transition to a green, net-zero carbon economy by collaborating on green procurement. The coalition shares knowledge and collaborates on best practices to:
- accelerate and improve green procurement practices
- increase capacity of buyers to work with suppliers to provide greener goods and services
The coalition is funded through the Greening Government Fund (GGF) and has been granted $1,332,000 over three years (2021-2024). The GGF contribution will support BCA projects as well as the coalition’s secretariat, which currently sits within the Centre for Greening Government at the Treasury Board Secretariat.
The types of initiatives undertaken can include gathering market information and developing model procurement specifications in areas such as:
- net-zero carbon and climate resilient buildings
- low carbon construction materials
- zero emission fleets
- green ICT
BCA brings together leading green buyers who purchase a significant volume of goods and services annually. As part of the membership criteria, members must have committed to net-zero carbon operations by 2050 and must be committed to lowering carbon emissions in procurement. This also includes having a green procurement policy or strategy. Relevant policies or strategies of current members include:
- Greening Government Strategy: A Government of Canada Directive, Policy on Green Procurement – Government of Canada
- CleanBC Roadmap to 2030 - Government of British Columbia
- 2030 Plan for a Green Economy, Government Sustainable Development Strategy – Government of Quebec
- Green Vancouver – City of Vancouver
- TransformTO Net Zero Strategy - City of Toronto
- Climate Plan 2020-2030 - City of Montréal
Green Procurement Criteria for Cloud Services - ECPAR (PDF format)
This resource provides green public procurement criteria to consider when procuring cloud services. The product was developed in collaboration with Espace québécois de concertation sur les pratiques d’approvisionnement responsable (ECPAR). The resource includes criteria to address energy efficiency, greenhouse gas emissions reduction, waste management, and general contract performance. It also provides examples of supporting documents that can be requested from bidders. These documents are intended to aid in compliance. The resource also highlights the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals addressed by the criteria.
Buyers for Climate Action (BCA)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: