Government leadership is critical to achieving Canada’s goals for environmental and sustainable development. The Government of Canada will play its part by reducing greenhouse gas emissions from its federal operations by 40% by 2030 and by 80% by 2050.
To provide this leadership and meet its internal environmental commitments, the Centre for Greening Government was created at the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat in .
The Centre tracks and reports on the federal government’s emissions centrally, coordinates greening efforts across government, and drives results to ensure the Government of Canada meets its greenhouse gas reduction targets. The Centre aims to leverage knowledge, skills and capabilities that can be shared throughout the Government of Canada and among various communities of practice through partnerships with government and non-government organizations, including business and academia.
We have a good picture of the government’s GHG emissions from the 2010 to 2011 fiscal year to the 2016 to 2017 fiscal year. We have already reduced GHG emissions from federal operations by 28% from 2005 levels.
Introduced in 2017, the Greening Government Strategy sets an ambitious target to reduce GHG emissions from federal operations by 80% by 2050 relative to 2005 levels, consistent with world-leading jurisdictions. Our strategy outlines specific measures to achieve this target, and also outlines a broader scope for our greening efforts – including actions on water and waste.
The Strategy and the Centre’s work are rooted in the following Government of Canada commitments:
- the Paris COP 21 Conference (Paris Agreement)
- the Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change (PCF)
- the Federal Sustainable Development Strategy (FSDS): the Centre for Greening Government works in close partnership with Environment and Climate Change Canada, the lead department for the overall strategy, to further the goals of the FSDS. The Centre is the lead for Goal 2 of the FSDS: low-carbon government
- the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
What we are doing
Greening efforts and strategies
News and events
- Study of climate change risk facing Canada and the federal government launched
- Canada-France Climate and Environment Partnership includes greening government commitments
- Government of Canada sets ambitious GHG reduction targets for federal operations
- Federal Government to significantly reduce its own greenhouse gas emissions
- Moving forward with greening government
Centre for Greening Government
Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
90 Elgin Street
Ottawa ON K1A 0R5
Email: Public Enquiries
Teletypewriter (TTY): 613-369-9371
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: