Work force adjustment - Pension
The following information is intended to help you understand your pension options in a work force adjustment situation.
You may want to know…
What is Work Force Adjustment (WFA)?
For information about the work force adjustment (WFA) process and particular work force adjustment situations visit the Work Force Adjustment - Policies and Guidelines page.
How is my pension affected if I am in a work force adjustment situation?
If you are covered by a Work Force Adjustment (WFA) Agreement or Directive, you may be eligible for a waiver of the normal annual allowance pension reduction if the deputy head or his/her delegate certifies that all of the following conditions are met:
- You are an employee whose services will no longer be required because of a WFA situation, and you have not received a guarantee of a reasonable job offer or a reasonable job offer; and
- You choose an annual allowance; and
- You have not received an educational allowance; and
- You became a plan member on or before and you are between the age of 55 and 59 with two years or more of pensionable service to your credit and have been employed in the public service for at least 10 years on the date you cease employment; or
- You became a plan member on or after and are between the age of 60 and 64 with two years or more of pensionable service to your credit and have been employed in the public service for at least 10 years on the date you cease employment.
The following links provide you with additional information and tools that may be useful to you if you find yourself in a Work Force Adjustment (WFA) situation.
- Preparing for Retirement: provides information to help you make informed decisions about retirement.
- Terminating Employment: provides you with an understanding of your pension options under your public service pension plan when terminating employment.
- Pension Entitlement Information Packages: provides you with important pension information that you will need if leaving the federal public service.
- Tools: provides you with online personalized pension tools.
- Your Pension at a Glance: provides you with a summary of the public service pension plan.
- You and Your Pension Plan video series: provides you with pension-related videos to help you understand your public service pension plan.
Who do I contact if I have more pension-related questions?
If you have pension-related questions after you have consulted this information, contact the Government of Canada Pension Centre.
If you are in a work force adjustment situation, your department must assign a counsellor to work with you throughout the process.
Visit Public service group insurance benefit plans for information on benefits.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: