Getting married or reaching common-law status – Retired members - Pension

Now that you are married or have reached common-law status, your new partner may be eligible for coverage under your pension plan.

You may want to know…

  • If you were married or lived in a common-law relationship prior to your retirement, will your spouse or common-law partner be entitled to a survivor benefit upon your death?

    Your spouse will normally be entitled to a survivor benefit if you were married before you retired from the public service.

    If you lived in a relationship of a conjugal nature before retirement and for at least one year before your death, your common-law partner may be entitled to a survivor benefit. Plan members who wish to provide information about their common-law relationship may do so by completing the Statutory Declaration form and forwarding it to the Government of Canada Pension Centre.

  • If you married after your retirement, will your new spouse be entitled to a survivor benefit upon your death?

    If you marry after retirement, your surviving spouse is not normally entitled to a pension. However, you may elect to provide your spouse with a benefit by taking a reduction in your own pension. This option must be elected for within one year of marriage or one year from the commencement of your pension, whichever is later. Consult Survivor Benefits for more information.

  • If you are receiving a survivor benefit under the public service pension plan, does that benefit cease if you remarry?

    No. A survivor pension is payable for life and is not affected by remarriage.

  • How does your marriage or common-law status affect the Supplementary Death Benefit (SDB)?

    The Supplementary Death Benefit is similar to a decreasing term life insurance protection, which is designed to cover members of the public service pension plan. Coverage begins when you become a member of the public service pension plan.

    If you wish to name your spouse or common-law partner as a beneficiary, you must complete the Naming or Substitution of a Beneficiary (PWGSC-TPSGC 2196) form.

Visit Public service group insurance benefit plans for information on benefits.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: