Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations (employers)
Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations is a summer job program. Eligible employers may benefit from wage subsidies and access to a pool of talented youth with innovative ideas and competitive skills.
Positions last from six to 16 weeks and students must work 30 to 40 hours per week. Students with a disability are eligible for part-time work.
Who can apply
An employer may be eligible for funding if it is:
- an incorporated, non-profit organization in Canada with a heritage mandate such as a museum*, archives, a library, or an organization managing a heritage site*;
- an educational or cultural institution that has distinct objectives, programs and a budget related to heritage;
- a non-profit organization under a provincial, territorial, regional or municipal government, that has distinct objectives, programs and a budget related to heritage;
- a professional heritage service organization;
- an Aboriginal regional government or governing body (band or tribal council) and/or Aboriginal organization with a mandate to preserve and support Aboriginal heritage; and
- stable and financially healthy.
*Note: Please refer to the Young Canada Works Employer Guide for full details on how the program defines a museum and a heritage site. To obtain a copy of the Young Canada Works Employer Guide, please contact the Delivery Organization to which you plan to submit an application, or the YCW Secretariat at PCH.coordonnateurjct-ycwcoordinator.PCH@canada.ca
An employer is not eligible if it is:
- a federal department, federal agency or Crown corporation;
- a provincial or territorial government department;
- for-profit; or
- a non-profit organization with a heritage mandate in support of a federal entity, that is also operationally dependent on the federal entity by virtue of its administrative and/or contractual relationship.
The application deadline is February 1, 2017.
Application approval takes a minimum of two months following the program deadline. Please contact the appropriate delivery organization to inquire about the status of an application.
How to apply
To apply, employers are required to:
- review the list of YCW delivery organizations and choose one that has a mandate closest to their own organization or project;
- obtain a copy of the Young Canada Works Employer Guide by contacting the Delivery Organization to which they plan to submit an application, or the YCW Secretariat at PCH.coordonnateurjct-ycwcoordinator.PCH@canada.ca;
- visit the Young Canada Works login page to create a new account or reactivate their profile from a previous year;
- follow the step-by-step instructions to complete an application; and
- submit their application to the appropriate delivery organization for evaluation.
Once the delivery organization has received an application, it will be reviewed and evaluated.
Read more about the available funding and hiring requirements in the frequently asked questions for employers.
Transportation and accommodation costs
If an employer wishes to hire an eligible student from another part of Canada, Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations may reimburse some transportation costs in accordance with established policies. Accommodation costs for those who relocate are the responsibility of the student.
After selecting a candidate, an employer should contact their delivery organization to discuss transportation arrangements. The delivery organization will provide the required forms to request a transportation reimbursement.
For questions related to summer jobs, please contact the appropriate delivery organization.
For general questions about YCW, please contact:
Department of Canadian Heritage
Young Canada Works Secretariat
15 Eddy Street
- 1-800-935-5555 (toll-free)
- 1-800-926-9105 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (EST).
Guides and help
- Frequently asked questions for employers – Young Canada Works
- Checklist for employers – Young Canada Works
- Delivery organizations – Young Canada Works
- Employer selection criteria (summer jobs) – Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations
- Terms and conditions (Summer Work Experience) – Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: