Section IV - Cost of CF International Operations - DPR - 2011-12
This page has been archived.
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
|($ thousands)||FY 2011-12
Forecast (RPP 2012-13)1
Actuals (DPR 2011-12)1
|Operations||Full DND Cost2||Incremental
|Full DND Cost2||Incremental
|IMATT – Op SCULPTURE (Sierra Leone)||1,829||1,407||2,579||1,728|
|MONUC – Op CROCODILE (DRC)||2,891||2,070||2,419||1,828|
|UNAMIS – Op SAFARI/Op SOPRANO (Khartoum, Sudan)||4,106||2,970||3,951||3,210|
|UNAMID - Op SATURN (Darfur)||446||249||446||307|
|Arabian Gulf Region and South West Asia|
|Op ATHENA – ISAF NATO (Afghanistan)||598,186||366,830||576,398||385,350|
|Op TRANSITION (Afghanistan)*4||647,130||394,365||547,348||341,225|
|Op ATTENTION - NATO Training Mission (Afghanistan)*5||124,621||86,962||104,256||76,028|
|Op SAIPH (South-west Asia)||200||200||697||263|
|Americas and the Caribbean|
|Op FOUNDATION - US CENTCOM (Tampa/Qatar)||1,618||1,074||1,713||1,287|
|Op HAMLET - MINUSTAH (Haiti)||1,524||814||1,720||1,160|
|Op JAGUAR (Jamaica)*6||5,548||3,086||29,087||3,086|
|Op KOBOLD - NATO (Kosovo)||785||484||917||818|
|Op IGNITION - NATO (Iceland)||9,097||617||7,876||640|
|MFO (Multinational Force & Observers) – OP CALUMET (Sinai) non-UN||4,040||1,798||5,085||2,981|
|UNTSO – Op JADE (Middle East)||994||425||1,244||842|
|Op PROTEUS (Jerusalem)||6,774||4,833||7,124||5,408|
|UNFICYP – Op SNOWGOOSE (Cyprus)||138||48||186||100|
|Op GLADIUS (Syria)||375||99||513||251|
|MENA (Mediterranean North Africa)|
|Op MOBILE (Libya)8||347,577||99,808||575,882||100,169|
|Op LOBE (Libya)*9||1,907||1,578||15,581||6,087|
|Op METRIC (Naval Ops Mediterranean)/OP ARTEMIS (Naval Ops Arabian Gulf)||167,321||14,287||91,717||13,014|
|Other (Various Missions)*10||26,288||5,335|
|Total*: International Operations||1,927,107||984,004||2,003,027||951,117|
|Est UN/MFO revenue to DND||Est UN/MFO revenue to DND|
*Due to rounding, totals may not add up to totals as shown.
- The 2012-13 Report on Plans and Priorities (RPP) provides the forecasted full and incremental costs for fiscal year (FY) 2011-12. The 2011-12 Departmental Performance Report (DPR) provides final actual full and incremental costs for FY 2011-12.
- "Full DND Cost" is the sum of incremental cost plus the salaries of Regular Force personnel, equipment depreciation, command and support cost, as well as the operating cost of some major equipment, such as aircraft, that are within normal planned activity rates and, therefore, had not been included in incremental cost.
- "Incremental DND Cost" is the additional costs for personnel and equipment that are directly attributable to the Canadian Forces operation. More specifically, incremental costs include the additional cost to deploy troops and equipment and to provide ongoing maintenance and support during the applicable operation, in addition to any specialized training required for the operation. DND does not include the full capital acquisition cost of major equipment in incremental cost, unless procured specifically for the mission with no life expectancy post operation, as this equipment will not be used in other CF operations. However, the full cost includes depreciation of major equipment.
- The Actual Incremental Costs for Op TRANSITION are $53.1M lower than the Forecast Incremental Costs due to delays in the return of material from Afghanistan.
- The Actual Incremental costs for Op ATTENTION decreased $10.9M from the Forecast Incremental Costs due to overall cost reductions in real life support, strategic air lift, third location decompression, relief in place and pre-training costs.
- The Actual Full Costs for Op JAGUAR are $23.5M higher when compared to the Forecast Full Costs as the yearly flying hours had not been included in the forecast amounts.
- Overall, the 2011-12 Actual Incremental Costs were $2.4M higher than the Forecast Incremental Costs for operations in the Middle East region. This was due to an increase in personnel on operations.
- The Actual Full Costs for Op MOBILE are $228.3M higher than the Forecast Full Costs as the yearly flying hours had not been included in the forecast amounts. Additionally, the actual amounts increased due to an increase in personnel on operations and because of changes made by Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) which impacted the Navy sea days calculation and amortization of the ships.
- The 2011-12 Actual Incremental costs for Op LOBE is $4.5M higher than the Forecast Actual Incremental Costs as a result of the reassessment of support to the Canadian embassy in Libya.
- Other Various Missions include costs for Liaison Officers for Africa missions, the Command Post Team in Lebanon, satellite leases and communications expenditures and other costs for various missions.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: