Transfer for Managing Research at the Royal Military College
- National Defence works closely with federal research funding agencies to support university-based research related to defence and security.
- In these Estimates, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council is transferring $747,321 to National Defence to support research at the Royal Military College.
- These funds will enable the Royal Military College to conduct research on a variety of topics, including:
- transnational criminal and terrorist movement and flows;
- defence policy;
- cybersecurity and electronic warfare;
- space activities; and
- critical infrastructure.
- The Research Support Fund serves to ease the burden of indirect costs associated with research at the Royal Military College in five expenditure areas:
- maintaining research facilities;
- ensuring adequate research resources;
- facilitating the management and administration of the institution’s research enterprise;
- ensuring regulatory requirements and accreditation; and
- protecting intellectual property.
- The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) stands at the centre of a national strategy to make Canada one of the world’s top countries in research and development.
- Royal Military College professors are beneficiaries of SSHRC, the National Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) funding through the Research Support Fund.
- National Defence receives this transfer annually. Because the amount varies from year to year, the transfer is done through the Supplementary Estimates.
- The Research Support Fund grant assists the Royal Military College with the costs associated with managing their research enterprise, including:
- providing researchers access to knowledge resources through electronic subscriptions to the library, software licenses, and staff accreditation;
- ensuring research meets regulatory and ethical standards; and
- transferring research findings to the private, public, and not-for profit sectors.
Version 5; 2020-02-25 – Source: Director Budget draft tab; D Parl A Supps A 2018-19 note, “Managing Research Activities at RMC.”
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: