Research, data and analysis on sexual misconduct
Sexual misconduct research, surveys, articles and statistics, including the Statistics Canada Survey on Sexual Misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces.
On this page
- Statistics Canada Survey on Sexual Misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces
- Data on sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces
- Operation HONOUR research program
Survey on Sexual Misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces
Statistics Canada conducts a voluntary survey on sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) on behalf of the CAF. The survey is designed to collect information regarding the prevalence of sexual misconduct within the military, to understand CAF members’ awareness of policy, programs and associated support mechanisms and to determine reporting trends. The CAF is committed to repeating the survey on a regular basis as a means of tracking progress over time. The date for the administration of the next survey has not yet been determined.
2018 Survey on Sexual Misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces
Statistics Canada conducted the second Survey on Sexual Misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces from September 14 to November 15, 2018. The survey results were published May 22, 2019.
- Summary of results (Statistics Canada)
- 2018 Survey of Sexual Misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces (Statistics Canada)
- The Infographic: Survey on Sexual Misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces Primary Reserve 2018: Key trends since 2016 (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- The Infographic: Survey on Sexual Misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces Regular Force 2018: Key trends since 2016 (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- 2018 Survey - Backgrounder (National Defence)
Statistics Canada conducted the first Survey on Sexual Misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces in the spring of 2016. The survey results were published November 28, 2016. For additional information about the survey, see the survey backgrounder published by National Defence.
Data on sexual misconduct incidents in the Canadian Armed Forces
As part of Operation HONOUR, the CAF collects and analyses sexual misconduct incident data to understand the scope of the issue and to identify areas where a more concentrated effort is required.
The 2019 Sexual Misconduct Incident Tracking report offers a snapshot of data for incidents that were reported to the chain of command between April 2016 and March 2019.
As we further analyze the data in this report to inform and focus our efforts to address sexual misconduct, we will continue to be open with members and Canadians about our actions.
Operation HONOUR Research Program
The CAF established the Operation HONOUR Research Program to increase its understanding of sexual misconduct and to inform its efforts to address it. Research conducted for the program aims to:
- Understand the scope of sexual misconduct in the CAF;
- Understand key risks and barriers to a healthy and inclusive CAF/DND culture;
- Explore key cultural factors and behaviours that create positive culture change; and
- Guide ongoing training programs and policy development.
Learn more about the Operation HONOUR research program.
If you have comments, suggestions or ideas related to Operation HONOUR initiatives or products, please fill out our feedback form.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: