Apply for military housing: Step 2. Who is eligible

2. Who is eligible

You may apply to live in military housing if you are:

  • a regular Canadian Armed Forces member posted to a new location or already living in the area
  • a Reserve Force member working full-time and at least on a 6-month contract
  • a foreign military/exchange member
  • a Government of Canada civilian indeterminate employee working in support of the Department of National Defence
  • a Royal Canadian Mounted Police employee
  • a Military Family Resource Centre employee or Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services employee (CANEX, SISIP Financial Services, and Personnel Support Programs) working at least 27.5 hours per week
  • an indeterminate employee of other Government of Canada departments
  • a Department of National Defence contractor on contract over 6 months

Household size

Your military records will detail household size. We will use this to determine the size of housing that may be assigned (based on priority and availability). We follow the household size indicated on your posting instruction or the household size indicated by your Orderly Room if your posting instructions were issued more than a year ago. We are not required to assign a housing unit that is larger than that is warranted by your record’s household size but we can in some circumstances where there is availability.

If you are a Priority 3 applicant, you do not need to provide a confirmation of household size because you will be offered any unit that is surplus to Priority 1 and 2 needs, and size will not be considered.

Applicants with special needs

There are homes that have been modified to meet the needs of occupants with disabilities at most housing locations. Existing housing and barrier-free housing needs are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the local Housing Services Centre to talk about your requirements.

Single members

As a single member, you may apply to live in military housing and you will be considered using the same priority system as all other applicants.

Members on imposed restrictions

If you are on or are about to proceed on imposed restrictions, you may apply to live in military housing. You will be considered as a Priority 1 applicant and a household of one.

Once your imposed restrictions status has been lifted and your family and furniture have been moved at government expense, you must reapply for housing and your application will be considered as a Priority 1.

Short-term occupancy

It is possible to apply for short-term or interim occupancy (minimum of 60 days). These housing offers are possible at the discretion of the Housing Services Centre manager. These types of allocations do not involve regular preparations (e.g. painting, floor refinishing, etc.) but meet all health and safety standards.

Non-family members

It is possible for you to share your housing unit with non-family members. However, since we do not “approve” unofficial household members, we are not required to allocate housing that is any larger than necessary based on your official household size, as indicated on your posting instructions or as indicated by your Orderly Room if your posting instructions were issued more than a year ago. We may allocate a larger house based on availability.

Waiting lists

When the number of applicants exceeds the available DND housing, we create a waiting list, by priority, for each housing size. We will only allocate Priority 2 after the Priority 1 applicants have been allocated a suitable residential housing unit in accordance with their household size.

The date on the Application for Department of National Defence residential housing unit form will determine the placement and order on the waiting lists.

While you are on the waiting list, we will:

  • Notify you of the availability of housing as soon as possible, but no later than 60 days before your Change of Strength date.
  • Give you an estimated date of availability of a unit that meets your needs.
  • Notify you that you have 30 days after your reporting date to confirm your application with us and that failure to do so will result in your removal from the waiting list.

If you refuse a housing offer and decide to reapply, your new application will be dated as of the date the refused unit would have been available for occupancy or as of the date of your new application (whichever is later).

You can choose to remove your name from the waiting list by contacting us. We will remove you from the waiting list automatically if:

  • You do not respond to an offer within 72 hours.
  • You confirm opting for private accommodations.
  • You do not confirm your application with us within 30 days of your reporting date.

Releasing from the Canadian Armed Forces

You can apply to stay in your unit past your date of release if you are eligible to move to an Intended Place of Residence, or if you are enrolled in an approved career transition or training program.

If you wish to request an occupancy extension, you must submit it in writing, including a copy of your release message confirming your Intended Place of Residence eligibility or your enrolment in an approved career or transition training program. Extensions may be authorized based on the availability of housing units and at the discretion of the Housing Services Centre manager.

If you wish to extend the existing occupancy agreement past your date of release, and you are not eligible to move to an Intended Place of Residence and you are not enrolled in an approved career transition or training program, you may be eligible for a short extension at our discretion.

Page details

Date modified: