Funding: Apprenticeship Incentive Grant – Overview
1. What this grant offers
The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) helps you pay for expenses while you train as an apprentice in a designated Red Seal trade.
- The AIG is a taxable grant worth $1,000 awarded to registered apprentices.
- You must complete your first year/level (or equivalent) to apply for the AIG.
- You can apply for this grant twice during your training (for a maximum of $2,000).
- You can apply for your second AIG after completing your second year/level (or equivalent) of training.
Important Notice Covid-19:
Due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the deadline for applying for the Apprenticeship Grants is being extended for apprentices who progressed from January 1, 2019 by a period of 6 months.
Usual application deadline: June 30, 2019
New application deadline: Not applicable
Deadline for supporting proof of documents: June 30, 2020
January 1, 2019 or later
Usual application deadline: 12 months from progression date
New application deadline: 18 months from progression date
Deadline for supporting proof of document: 12 months from application deadline
If progression date is March 15, 2019, you originally had until March 15, 2020 to apply. Now, you have until September 15, 2020 to apply and September 15, 2021, to provide supporting proof documents.
There is a governing body in charge of apprenticeship in each province and territory. This body is usually a branch related to each provincial or territorial Department/Ministry of Education and Training with authority over training, regulation and certification of the apprenticeship program for their province/territory.
Designated Red Seal program trade
A trade that is part of the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program.
Journeyperson certification / Certificate of qualification
This is given to tradespeople who:
- complete an apprenticeship program; or
- meet all the requirements of a trade and pass the certification exam.
When you complete the technical and on-the-job training of your apprenticeship program, you have progressed. We confirm your progression through the supporting documents you include with your application.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: