What Happens in the Event of an Accident?

Unfortunately, and despite existing regulations, awareness-raising campaigns, and all sorts of precautions, thousands of workers are victims of workplace accidents. In fact, according to the most recent statistics, almost 1,000,000 workplace accidents were reported in Canada in 2005.

This section contains information about the following:

Victim of a Work Accident

If you are employed by a federally regulated private-sector employer, your work-related injury and compensation benefits would be handled by the provincial workers' compensation board in your province. Therefore, your employer must file a compensation claim with this provincial board in accordance to the board's requirements.

If you are employed by the federal government or a federal Crown corporation you can refer to the following reference document: If you have an accident: What to do and how to do it.

It contains answers to basic questions you may have on procedures and compensation, including:

  • whom you must inform;
  • the nature of the benefits you will be entitled to;
  • the type of benefits that you will receive;
  • a description of available rehabilitation services;
  • who must process your benefit claim, depending on where you work;
  • contact information for where to submit your claim; and
  • what happens in the event of occupational diseases.

The Accident Investigation

All work-related accidents, injuries, and diseases and all dangerous situations must be investigated.

The investigation is a valuable preventive tool in itself. Not only does it identify the causes of an accident, but it also helps to minimize the risk of another similar accident occurring.

The employer is responsible for appointing a qualified person to lead the investigation. The workplace health and safety committee or a health and safety representative must participate.

Report disabling injuries or fatalities to the Labour Program as soon as possible but not later than 24 hours:

  • if there is a death;
  • if more than one employee suffers a disabling injury;
  • if an employee loses all or part of a limb or the total or partial use of a limb;
  • if an employee suffers the loss or impairment of a body function (sight, hearing, etc.);
  • if there is an explosion;
  • if a boiler or a pressurized vessel ruptures or causes a fire; or
  • if an elevating device is free-falling, damaged, or becomes unusable.

In addition, a written report must be prepared, in collaboration with the health and safety committee or representative, and sent to the Labour Program within 14 days following the accident if:

  • an employee suffers a disabling injury;
  • an employee loses consciousness following an electric shock or exposure to a toxic atmosphere or air depleted of oxygen;
  • life-saving measures, resuscitative interventions, or any similar emergency measures are required; or
  • there is a fire or an explosion.

If A Work-Related Accident Occurs… (Poster)

For more information, see the following publications:

Statistical accident reports published by the Labour Program:

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: