Who needs a SIN

If you are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

Children 12 years of age or older may apply for their SIN. Parents, legal guardians or legal representatives can apply for a SIN for children under the age of majority in their province, and for adults in their care.

Information for temporary residents

If your SIN begins with a “9,” keep your SIN record up to date. Make sure your SIN expiry date matches the one on your document from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada allowing you to work in Canada.

Once your SIN record is updated, you will receive a SIN with a new expiry date. Your previous SIN (whether in a paper format or a plastic card) is no longer valid. Destroy it in a secure manner.

If your SIN is expired, you may continue to work while waiting for your new immigration document if you maintain your status during the processing.

What to do if your temporary SIN expires (starts with a 9).

Information for employees

Apply for your SIN within 3 days after you begin work. Once you apply, you can begin working in insurable employment. Please check with the Employment Insurance Regulations for further details.

Information for employers

If you are an employer, learn about your responsibilities related to your employees' SINs.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: