SIN data breach

If you have been victim of a data breach, find out how to protect your SIN.

To work in Canada or access government programs and benefits, you need a 9-digit number known as a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Your SIN is private and it is illegal for anyone else to use it. You are responsible for protecting your SIN.

Service Canada is responsible for issuing SINs, which comes in a paper format (Confirmation of SIN letter) or digitally if you are eligible by signing in or registering for My Service Canada Account (MSCA). If you have a plastic SIN card that has not expired, it is still valid.

If you have forgotten your SIN

If you cannot remember your SIN, you may:

If you have lost your SIN, or if it was stolen

If you have lost your SIN, or if it was stolen, Service Canada will not issue a new one.

Service Canada may issue a new SIN only if there is proof that the SIN was used fraudulently. If you think this may apply to you, refer to Protecting your SIN for more information.

If you find someone else’s SIN

Please return it to a Service Canada Center or mail it to Service Canada.

Registering a newborn

If your newborn is under one year of age and you have not registered your child’s birth with your province, you can apply for your child’s SIN through your provincial Newborn Registration Service.

This service is available in all Canadian provinces, but is not yet available in the territories.

If you live in the territories, apply for your child’s SIN directly through Service Canada.

To register your child’s birth and apply for your child’s SIN, visit your provincial website


For more information, contact the Social Insurance Number Program.

Page details

Date modified: