Data quality: National Pollutant Release Inventory
Environment and Climate Change Canada’s (ECCC) data quality management framework ensures that NPRI information meets the needs of data users.
- Facilities must report to NPRI by the annual deadline, typically June 1.
- The Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 sets out penalties for companies that fail to report or that knowingly submit false or misleading information.
- ECCC staff help facility representatives understand NPRI reporting requirements and prepare accurate reports.
- ECCC checks the reports for inaccuracies and reporting errors, and may contact or visit facilities to verify or correct information.
- Accurate location coordinates for NPRI reporting supports air quality modelling as well as watershed and other analyses.
- Geographic data, using mapping software such as Google EarthTM, helps visualize facilities.
- ECCC staff use satellite imaging, legal property descriptions and other tools to validate the geographic information of facilities reporting to NPRI. Contact NPRI to correct any of this information.
Query tool to search detailed information on pollutant releases (to air, water and land), disposals and transfers for recycling reported by facilities to the National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) from 1994 to 2016.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: