Base metals smelters and refineries: code of practice overview
The code of practice for base metals smelters and refineries has been in effect since March 2006.
This code of practice aims to identify and promote recommended practices as requirements for new facilities and as goals for continual improvements for existing facilities.
The code of practice applies to base metals smelters and refineries including producers of:
- primary copper
- primary and secondary lead
- primary zinc
- primary nickel
- primary cobalt
Adopting the code of practice
If the code of practice applies to your facility, you are encouraged to implement applicable recommended practices.
Read the code of practice
Code of practice for base metals smelters and refineries
The code of practice does not require reporting. However, if the code applies to your facility, you may also be a signatory to the environmental performance agreements for base metal smelters. Please refer to the performance agreements for more information.
Performance results to date
For information on the level of implementation of the 38 recommendations provided in the code, see the progress report for the pollution prevention planning notice for base metals smelters and refineries and zinc plants. Further information on the implementation of the recommendations provided in the code will be available on the performance agreement overview page.
- Technical assessment of environmental performance and emission reduction options
- HATCH review of environmental releases for the base metals smelters sector
- Guidance document for management of wastes from the base metals smelting sector
- Base metals smelting sector strategic options report (document available upon request)
- Environmental performance agreements for base metal smelters
- Canada-wide air quality management system
- Summary of instruments to implement base-level industrial emission requirements (BLIERs)
Mining and Processing Division
Environment and Climate Change Canada
351 St-Joseph Boulevard
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: