Iron, steel and ilmenite sector: pollution prevention planning notice
This notice applies to any owner or operator of:
- a facility listed in Table 1 of the notice
- an iron, steel or ilmenite smelting facility that started operations between May 6, 2017 and December 31, 2027
For more details, refer to the iron, steel and ilmenite sector notice.
If you are uncertain whether you are subject to the notice, contact us for clarification or to obtain a notification of non-engagement form.
If you are a facility listed in Table 1 of the notice, you must:
- prepare a pollution prevention plan by May 2, 2018 and submit a report (schedule 1) by June 1, 2018
- submit annual progress reports (schedule 4) on June 1 from 2019 to 2027
- implement a pollution prevention plan by May 2, 2028 and submit a report (schedule 5) by June 1, 2028
If you became subject to the notice after May 6, 2017, you must:
- prepare a pollution prevention plan no later than 6 months after the start of your operations, and submit a report (schedule 1) within 30 days following the end of the 6-month period
- submit annual progress reports (schedule 4) on June 1 of the year after the start of your operations and every subsequent year on June 1 until the year 2027
- implement a pollution prevention plan no later than May 2, 2028, and submit a report (schedule 5) by June 1, 2028
You must complete and submit reports by the deadlines detailed above.
All 14 facilities subject to the notice submitted a declaration that a pollution prevention plan has been prepared and is being implemented (schedule 1). The Government of Canada is reviewing the information received. The first interim progress reports (schedule 4) are expected by June 1, 2019.
- Pollution prevention planning notices and your legal obligations
- Create and implement your pollution prevention plan
- Canada-wide Air Quality Management System
- Proposed notice requiring the preparation and implementation of pollution prevention plans for the iron, steel and ilmenite sector
- Response to comments on the proposed notice
Technical inquiries regarding the content of this notice:
Mining and Processing Division
Inquiries regarding reporting and pollution prevention practices:
Regulatory Innovation and Management Systems
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: