Siloxane D4 in industrial effluents: pollution prevention planning notice
Note: All facilities that became subject to this notice when it was published have met the requirements of the notice.
However, this notice remains in effect. Other facilities can still become subject to the notice and will then be required to prepare and implement a pollution prevention plan as per the deadlines below.
This notice applies to any owner or operator of:
- an industrial facility that manufactures or uses D4 or a mixture containing D4, where the total quantity of D4 used or manufactured is equal to or greater than 100 kg during a calendar year, and
- as a result of manufacturing or use, the effluent at the final discharge point(s) of the facility contains D4
For more details, refer to the siloxane D4 in industrial effluents notice.
If you are uncertain whether you are subject to the notice, contact us for clarification or to obtain a notification of non-engagement form.
If you became subject to the notice after June 2, 2012, you must:
- prepare a pollution prevention plan within 12 months from the date you became subject to the notice and then submit a report (schedule 1) within 30 days following the end of the 12-month period
- submit the first interim progress report within 25 months from the date you became subject to the notice
- submit the second interim progress report within 37 months from the date you became subject to the notice
- submit the third interim progress report within 49 months from the date you became subject to the notice
- implement the pollution prevention plan within 60 months from the date you became subject to the notice and then submit a report (schedule 5) no later than 30 days following the end of the 60-month period
You must complete and submit reports as required (see deadlines above).
By July 1, 2017, the 6 facilities subject to the notice had submitted their final declaration (schedule 5 of the notice) summarizing the outcomes of their implemented pollution prevention plan. Five of the facilities have met the reduction target which consists either in reducing the D4 concentration in their effluents to a level that is less than or equal to 17.3 μg/L or in releasing a total quantity of D4 in their effluents that is less than or equal to 3 kg per year. The sixth facility also has fully implemented its pollution prevention plan but, despite achieving significant reductions in its D4 releases, it has not met the reduction target set out in the notice. For more information, see the performance report.
Les Emballages Knowlton Inc. (LEKinc.) was granted a time extension to prepare their pollution prevention plan. The deadline was extended to October 1, 2013.
- Pollution prevention planning notices and your legal obligations
- Create and implement your pollution prevention plan
- Information sheet
- Final screening assessment report
- Proposed notice (PDF)
- Response to comments on the proposed notice
- Consultation document
- Response to comments on the consultation document
Technical inquiries regarding the content of this notice:
Chemical Production Division
Inquiries regarding reporting and pollution prevention practices:
Regulatory Innovation and Management Systems
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: