6.2.7 Insurable and uninsurable perils

From: Financial Consumer Agency of Canada

No insurance policy will cover you for every risk to your home and property. Here are some risks, or perils, that generally are not included.


  • Insurable perils: Risks that are included in home insurance policies
  • Uninsurable perils: Risks that are not included in home insurance policies
Insurable and uninsurable perils

Common insurable perils

Common uninsurable perils

Aircraft or vehicle impact

Water damage caused by floodwater or ongoing leaks

Electric current

Damage arising from the freezing of indoor plumbing


Damage by insects and rodents

Falling object

Damage by snowslide, landslide or earthquake


Damage caused if you leave your home vacant for more than 30 days









Sudden water damage


Wind and hail


Window glass


You may purchase separate insurance for these perils, which are not normally included in home insurance policies:

  • earthquake
  • furnace oil spills
  • sewer back-up.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: