Phenol, 4,4'- (3H-2,1-benzoxathiol-3-ylidene)bis[2-bromo-6-methyl-, S,S-dioxide (Bromcresol Purple)
CAS Registry Number 115-40-2
What is it?
- Phenol, 4,4'-(3H-2,1-benzoxathiol-3-ylidene)bis[2-bromo-6-methyl-, S,S-dioxide, also known as Bromcresol Purple, is an industrial chemical.
How is it used?
- Bromcresol Purple is used mainly as an analytical reagent in laboratories.
- Based on the most recent data available, Bromcresol Purple is not manufactured in Canada but imported into Canada in very small quantities.
Why did the Government of Canada assess it?
- Bromcresol Purple was identified as a potential concern to the environment based on available information regarding possible persistence, accumulation in organisms and potential to cause harm to organisms.
How is it released into the environment?
- The Government of Canada has reviewed information that indicates that Bromcresol Purple is not currently in commerce in Canada in significant quantities.
- The very small quantity of Bromcresol Purple that is used as an analytical reagent could be released to sewers following use in laboratories.
What is the Government of Canada doing?
- The Government of Canada has conducted a science-based evaluation of Bromcresol Purple called a screening assessment.
- The Government of Canada has concluded that Bromcresol Purple is not entering the environment in a quantity or under conditions that constitute a danger to the environment.
- The final screening assessment was published on August 1, 2009.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: