Phenol, 4,4'-(3H-1,2-benzoxathiol-3-ylidene)bis[2,6-dibromo-3-methyl-, S,S-dioxide, monosodium salt (PBTBO)
CAS Registry Number 62625-32-5
What is it?
- Phenol, 4,4'-(3H-1,2-benzoxathiol-3-ylidene)bis[2,6-dibromo-3-methyl-, S,S-dioxide, monosodium salt, also known as PBTBO, is an industrial chemical.
How is it used?
- PBTBO is used as an analytical reagent in laboratories.
- Based on the most recent data available, PBTBO is not manufactured in Canada but is imported into Canada.
Why did the Government of Canada assess it?
- PBTBO was identified as a potential concern to the environment based on available information regarding possible persistence, accumulation in organisms and potential to cause harm to organisms.
How is it released into the environment?
- PBTBO could end up in sewers following use in laboratories.
What is the Government of Canada doing?
- The Government of Canada has conducted a science-based evaluation of PBTBO called a screening assessment.
- The Government of Canada has concluded that PBTBO is not entering the environment in a quantity or under conditions that constitute a danger to the environment.
- The final screening assessment was published on August 1, 2009.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: