Phenol, 4,4'- (3H-2,1-benzoxathiol-3-ylidene)bis[2,5-dimethyl-, S,S-dioxide (Xylenol Blue)
CAS Registry Number 125-31-5
What is it?
- Phenol, 4,4'- (3H-2,1-benzoxathiol-3-ylidene)bis[2,5-dimethyl-, S,S-dioxide, also known as Xylenol Blue, is an industrial chemical.
How is it used?
- Xylenol Blue is used mainly as an analytical reagent in laboratories.
- Based on the most recent data available, Xylenol Blue is not manufactured in Canada but is imported into Canada in very small quantities.
Why did the Government of Canada assess it?
- Xylenol Blue was identified as a potential concern to the environment based on available information regarding possible persistence, accumulation in organisms and potential to cause harm to organisms.
How is it released into the environment?
- The Government of Canada has reviewed information that indicates that Xylenol Blue is not currently in commerce in Canada in significant quantities.
- The very small quantity of Xylenol Blue that is used as an analytical reagent could be released to sewers following use in laboratories.
What is the Government of Canada doing?
- The Government of Canada has conducted a science-based evaluation of Xylenol Blue called a screening assessment.
- The Government of Canada has concluded that Xylenol Blue is not entering the environment in a quantity or under conditions that constitute a danger to the environment.
- The final screening assessment was published on August 1, 2009.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: