Consultation on azoxystrobin, Proposed Maximum Residue Limit PMRL2023-38
Current status: Open
Opened on 20 July 2023 and will close for consultation on 3 October 2023
Health Canada is consulting the public and seeking your feedback on a proposed maximum residue limit (MRL) increase for azoxystrobin on imported sugar beet roots. An MRL is the highest amount of a specific pesticide residue allowed on a particular food commodity when a pesticide is used according to label directions. This MRL increase is being requested in Canada to align with the United States of America. This is so sugar beet roots, or any processed foods derived from sugar beet roots, can be imported and sold in Canada.
- Azoxystrobin is a fungicide registered in Canada for use on sugar beets and other food commodities.
- Azoxystrobin was first registered in Canada in 2000.
- Azoxystrobin was re-evaluated using updated scientific information and Health Canada proposed that the requirements for protection of human health and the environment were still met.
- Health Canada published a proposed decision to continue its registration in 2023.
What is the proposed MRL decision
This consultation is on the proposed decision to accept the request to increase the MRL for azoxystrobin from 0.5 ppm to 5.0 ppm on imported sugar beet roots. Results from the scientific evaluation show that the proposed MRL increase for azoxystrobin would continue to meet Health Canada's requirements for the protection of human health. This increased MRL:
- Would not change the Canadian registered labels for azoxystrobin.
- Would not change how the pesticide is used in Canada.
- Would not increase the amount of pesticide residues for azoxystrobin on the food grown in Canada.
How to get involved
This consultation is open for comment from 20 July 2023 to 3 October 2023 (75 calendar days).
To comment on PMRL2023-38:
- Step 1: Open "View the proposed MRL decision" to access the document.
- Step 2: Submit comments to the Pest Management Regulatory Agency Publications Section
Please be sure to include the title of the consultation document on which you are commenting. Interested parties are encouraged to provide comments by 3 October 2023.
Health Canada will consider all comments received before making a final decision on the proposed MRL for azoxystrobin.
- Proposed Re-evaluation Decision PRVD2023-02, Azoxystrobin and Its Associated End-use Products
- Improving how we communicate about MRLs
Reporting to the people of Canada
Health Canada will make the results of this consultation available on this website. Once the decision on azoxystrobin is finalized, the established MRLs will be legally in effect as of the date that they are entered into the MRL database. The MRL database is an online application that allows users to search for established MRLs, regulated under the Pest Control Products Act, for pesticides and food commodities.
If you have any questions, contact the Pest Management Information Service.
Interested in our other consultations? Sign up and stay informed about topics that matter to you.
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: