Consultation on cyclaniliprole, Proposed Maximum Residue Limit PMRL2023-46
Current status: Open
Opened on 13 December 2023 and will close for consultation on 26 February 2024
Health Canada is consulting the public and seeking your feedback on proposed maximum residue limit (MRL) increases due to new cyclaniliprole uses on peppers/eggplants and tomatoes. MRLs were previously set for peppers/eggplants and tomatoes grown in the field. The proposed revisions would apply to these crops grown in Canada. These new uses have already been approved in the United States and the proposed revisions to the Canadian MRLs are aligned with the established US tolerances for these crops.
An MRL is the highest amount of a specific pesticide residue allowed on a particular food when a pesticide is used according to label directions. The MRLs are being revised to allow cyclaniliprole to be used on greenhouse crops grown in Canada and will also apply to foods imported into Canada or grown in Canada.
- Cyclaniliprole is a fungicide currently registered in Canada for use on various field-grown fruits and vegetables.
- Cyclaniliprole was first registered in Canada in 2017.
What is the proposed MRL decision
This consultation is on the proposed decision to accept the requests to
- Increase the MRL for cyclaniliprole on peppers/eggplants (crop subgroup 8-09B) from 0.2 ppm to 1.5 ppm;
- Increase the MRL for cyclaniliprole on tomatoes (crop subgroup 8-09A) from 0.2 ppm to 0.7 ppm.
To address these requests, Health Canada conducted scientific evaluations to determine the potential impact of the new cyclaniliprole greenhouse uses in Canada. Results from these evaluations show that the new cyclaniliprole uses, and the resulting revised MRLs, would continue to meet Health Canada's requirements for the protection of human health.
How to get involved
This consultation is open for comment from 13 December 2023 to 26 February 2024 (75 calendar days).
To comment on PMRL2023-46:
- Step 1: Open "View the proposed MRL decision" below to access the document.
- Step 2: Submit comments to the Pest Management Regulatory Agency Publications Section
Please be sure to include the title of the consultation document on which you are commenting.
Health Canada will consider all comments received up to 75 days from the date of publication of this document (by 26 February 2024) before making a final decision on the proposed MRLs for cyclaniliprole.
- Proposed Registration Decision PRD2023-11, Cyclaniliprole. This consultation is open for comment from 13 December 2023 to 27 January 2024 (45 calendar days)
- Proposed Registration Decision PRD2017-12, Cyclaniliprole and Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide.
- Registration Decision RD2017-17, Cyclaniliprole and Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide
- Improving how we communicate about MRLs
- Maximum residue limits, human health, and food safety
Reporting to the people of Canada
Health Canada will make the results of this consultation available on this website. Once the decision on cyclaniliprole is finalized, the established MRLs will be legally in effect as of the date that they are entered into the MRL database. The MRL database is an online application that allows users to search for established MRLs, regulated under the Pest Control Products Act, for pesticides and foods.
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: