Consultation on Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide containing cyclaniliprole, Proposed Registration Decision PRD2023-11
Current status: Open
Opened on 13 December 2023 and will close for consultation on 27 January 2024.
Health Canada is consulting the public and seeking your feedback on the proposed registration decision to add new uses to the label of the pesticide product Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide. These proposed new uses include outdoor and greenhouse ornamentals, greenhouse pepper, and greenhouse tomato.
What is cyclaniliprole
Cyclaniliprole is an insecticide currently used to suppress or control various insect pests (such as certain thrips, moths, beetles, and flies) on:
- various field-grown vegetables (such as celery, leaf lettuce, broccoli, and sweet potatoes)
- tree nuts (such as hazelnuts, walnuts, and chestnuts)
- various fruit crops (such as apples, peaches, and some berries)
The pesticide product Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide contains the active ingredient cyclaniliprole.
Why the new uses are needed
Growers in Canada identified the need for a new pesticide product to manage pests on outdoor and greenhouse ornamentals, greenhouse peppers, and greenhouse tomatoes. The insect pests targeted for control on greenhouse ornamentals are known for developing resistance to conventional insecticides. Having more than one active ingredient available is important for resistance management. Cyclaniliprole provides a new alternative active ingredient for this use. In addition, approving the use of Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide on outdoor ornamentals and greenhouse vegetables provides growers in Canada with more options for effective crop protection that were not available previously. The new uses for Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide were reviewed under the User Requested Minor Use Label Expansion program (URMULE).
What is the proposed registration decision
Health Canada proposes to approve the use of the pesticide product Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide on:
- outdoor ornamentals (such as shrubs and trees other than conifers)
- greenhouse ornamentals (such as cut flowers, perennials, and annuals)
- greenhouse pepper
- greenhouse tomato
This decision is proposed provided that new key risk-reduction measures are followed, such as modified precautions and application directions that help minimize exposure of cyclaniliprole to bees, other beneficial insects, and aquatic habitats.
To reach its decision, Health Canada conducted scientific evaluations to determine the potential impact of the new Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide uses in Canada. This included reviewing any new and applicable information related to directions for use, toxicology, occupational and residential exposure, dietary exposure, value, and impact on the environment for cyclaniliprole. Results from these evaluations show that the new Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide uses are effective and needed in Canada and would continue to meet Health Canada's requirements for the protection of human health and the environment. For this reason, Health Canada is proposing to approve these new uses.
How to get involved
This consultation is open for comment from 13 December 2023 to 27 January 2024 (45 calendar days).
To comment on PRD2023-11:
- Step 1: Open "View a summary of the proposed decision" below to access the document.
- Step 2: Submit comments to the Pest Management Regulatory Agency Publications Section
Please be sure to include the title of the consultation document on which you are commenting.
Health Canada will consider all comments received up to 45 days from the date of publication of this document (by 27 January 2024) before making a final decision on the proposed registration decision for cyclaniliprole.
If you would like to request additional information on the supporting scientific documents for this proposed registration decision, contact the Pest Management Information Service. Include the following information in the request:
- Active ingredient: cyclaniliprole
- Published document number: PRD2023-11
- Submission number(s): 2018-5560; 2019-2117; 2019-4395; 2021-0361
- User Requested Minor Use Label Expansion program
- Proposed Registration Decision PRD2017-12, Cyclaniliprole and Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide
- Registration Decision RD2017-17, Cyclaniliprole and Cyclaniliprole 50SL Insecticide
- Proposed Maximum Residue Limit PMRL2023-46, Cyclaniliprole. This consultation is open for comment from 13 December 2023 to 26 February 2024 (75 calendar days).
Reporting to the people of Canada
Through the publication of a Registration Decision document, Health Canada will communicate the final decision on this website (the Pesticides and Pest Management Reports and Publications portion of Canada.ca). This document will include the decision, the reasons for it, a summary of comments received on the proposed registration decision and Health Canada's response to these comments.
If you have any questions, contact the Pest Management Information Service.
Interested in our other consultations? Sign up and stay informed about topics that matter to you.
- Date modified: