Consultation on the proposed special review decision of fosetyl-aluminum and its associated end-use products, PSRD2023-02
Current status: Open
Opened on 14 November 2023 and will close for consultation on 29 December 2023
Health Canada is consulting the public and seeking your comments on the proposed special review decision to continue allowing current uses of fosetyl-aluminum with updated risk mitigation measures. The consultation is only on the aspect of concern that triggered this special review, which is the potential risk to amphibians when exposed to fosetyl aluminum.
What is fosetyl-aluminum
Fosetyl-aluminum is a systemic fungicide that can be taken up by the roots or absorbed through the leaves of a plant. It provides control of various fungal diseases such as downy mildew. It has been registered for use in Canada since 1996 and was re-evaluated in 2019. Fosetyl-aluminum is registered for use on:
- greenhouse and field-grown vegetables (such as onions, broccoli and leafy and root vegetables),
- fruits (such as apples, grapes and various berries),
- greenhouse and field-grown ornamentals (such as cut flowers, bedding plants and trees), and
- non-residential turf (such as golf courses and sod farms).
Fosetyl-aluminum is one of the few fungicides registered in Canada to suppress a quarantine pest, sudden oak death, in greenhouse and field-grown ornamental plants including certain trees.
What is the difference between re-evaluations and special reviews
Re-evaluations are cyclical reviews that determine if the pesticide meets current health, environment and value requirements. Re-evaluations are conducted using modern assessment techniques and current scientific information. If Health Canada's scientific information requirements or evaluation procedures change, pesticides may also be re-evaluated.
Special reviews may be initiated at any time if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the health, environment or value requirements of a pesticide are no longer met. A special review may be triggered by new information provided through various sources such as the Incident Reporting Program, other government partners, members of the public, or when an Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) member country prohibits all uses of a pesticide for health or environmental reasons.
Re-evaluations look at all aspects of a pesticide to ensure the pesticide meets current health, environment and value requirements, whereas special reviews only assess the aspect of concern that triggered the special review.
What is the reason for a special review of fosetyl-aluminum
The aspect of concern for this special review is that exposure to fosetyl-aluminum could potentially pose an unacceptable risk to amphibians. This is based on the scientific information relating to the effects of fosetyl-aluminum on amphibians provided to Health Canada as part of the Incident Reporting Program.
What is the proposed special review decision
Health Canada proposes to continue allowing the current uses of fosetyl-aluminum with updated risk mitigation measures to minimize the potential exposure of fosetyl-aluminum to amphibians:
- Updated spray buffer zones of 1 to 25 m to protect sensitive freshwater habitats less than one metre deep (for the protection of amphibians). Buffer zones are strips of land between the site of pesticide application and the aquatic areas
- Updated label directions to prohibit releases, effluent, or runoff from greenhouses.
Health Canada reviewed the latest information provided to the Pesticide Incident Reporting Program to update the amphibian risk assessment, along with information considered for the previous re-evaluation of fosetyl-aluminum. No additional information was identified from the public literature or from other jurisdictions. Results from the review show that with the implementation of updated risk mitigation measures, fosetyl aluminum continues to meet Health Canada's requirements for the protection of the environment.
How to get involved
This consultation is open for comment from 14 November 2023 to 29 December 2023 (45 calendar days).
To comment on PSRD2023-02:
- Step 1: Open "View a summary of the proposed decision" below to access the document.
- Step 2: Submit comments to the Pest Management Regulatory Agency Publications Section
Please be sure to include the title of the consultation document on which you are commenting.
Health Canada will consider all comments received up to 45 days from the date of publication of this document (by 29 December 2023) before making a final decision on the proposed special review decision for fosetyl-aluminum.
If you would like to request to view the supporting scientific documents for this proposed special review decision, contact the Pest Management Information Service. Include the following information in the request:
- Active ingredient: fosetyl-aluminum
- Published document number: PSRD2023-02
- Submission number(s): 2022-1396
- Approach to special reviews of pesticides: PMRA guidance document
- Pesticide Incident Reporting Program.
- Proposed Re-evaluation Decision PRVD2017-19, Fosetyl-aluminum and Its Associated End-use Products
- Re-evaluation Decision RVD2019-08, Fosetyl-aluminum and Its Associated End-use Products
Reporting to the people of Canada
If you have any questions, contact the Pest Management Information Service.
Interested in our other consultations? Sign up and stay informed about topics that matter to you.
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: