Assisted human reproduction
On this page
- Assisted human reproduction in Canada
- The Assisted Human Reproduction Act
- Strengthening the Assisted Human Reproduction Act
- Contact us
Assisted human reproduction in Canada
Canadians experiencing infertility, single parents and same-sex couples are increasingly turning to assisted human reproduction (AHR) procedures to help build their families.
Health Canada is responsible for developing policy and regulations under the Assisted Human Reproduction Act (AHR Act). We administer and enforce the Act and its regulations.
The AHR Act received Royal Assent in 2004 and was designed to protect and promote the health, safety, dignity and rights of Canadians who use or are born of AHR technology. The Act achieves this purpose by setting out prohibited activities related to assisted human reproduction that may pose significant human health and safety risks to Canadians or that are deemed to be ethically unacceptable or incompatible with Canadian values.
The Assisted Human Reproduction Act
- Prohibitions related to scientific research and clinical applications
- Prohibitions related to Purchasing Reproductive Material and Purchasing or Selling In Vitro Embryos
- Prohibitions related to Surrogacy
- Consent to Use Human Reproductive Material and In Vitro Embryos
Strengthening the Assisted Human Reproduction Act
In 2016, recognizing the need to strengthen the federal regulatory framework governing AHR in Canada, Health Canada announced its intention to bring into force the dormant sections of the AHR Act and to develop the necessary supporting regulations. Those regulations were pre-published in Canada Gazette, Part I for public review.
- July 2017: Strengthening the Assisted Human Reproduction Act
- October 2016: Notice of Intent
- October 2018: Consultation opportunities on the proposed AHR regulations
If you have a question about the Assisted Human Reproduction Act you can contact Health Canada in one of the following ways:
Office of Policy and International Collaboration
Health Products and Food Branch
Address Locator: 0601B
100 Eglantine Driveway
Email: hc.bgtd_ahr- firstname.lastname@example.org
Toll free: 1-866-225-0709
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: