Drug shortages in Canada: Information for consumers
On this page
Supply of children and adult acetaminophen and ibuprofen
Various products containing acetaminophen and ibuprofen are sold over the counter (without a prescription). There are also combination products for adults that contain these ingredients and others to treat fever and pain and relieve cold and flu symptoms.
Sometimes there is higher than normal demand for these products.
Currently, there are some supply issues for:
- combination cold and flu products for adults
- acetaminophen and ibuprofen products for infants and children
These supply issues may make it difficult to buy the product you need, in the format you like, when you need it.
Adult ibuprofen and acetaminophen medications, not in combination, remain available.
Learn more about the infant and children's acetaminophen and ibuprofen shortage.
Speak to your pharmacist or doctor about other options if your preferred product is not available.
What you can do
- Only buy what you need. We want to make sure that everyone has access to the medications they need.
- Remember that a fever is a sign that the body is fighting an infection. Use cold compresses and drink plenty of fluids.
- Warm baths can help manage pain.
- Avoid using expired products.
- Obtain medications from unknown sources, such as online groups or third parties.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: